Tuesday 10 November 2015

Pitch Reflection

My group used 3 main appeals, Fear, Rationale, and Bandwagon. We decided that these were the most effective appeals because firstly, fear is compromised mainly of not just attracting the viewer to buy the product, but to also think, "what might happen if I don't buy this product?" and most often it drives the viewer to be more aware or prominently self conscious of what the the advertisement is promoting. For, Rationale, our advertisement shows that the viewer will achieve many things by using the bike share program, because many people sometimes don't see how it might benefit them, whereas our advertisement consists of many factual reasons of why viewers will buy this product.

Some persuasive techniques that I used were Nostalgia, and the need to achieve. Nostalgia is mainly related to Pathos where it is emotionally driven, which is why it is persuasive. I think that emotion has a more powerful effect than reason. However, in this case, our audience were targeted for 40-60 year olds, so the nostalgia will work on these target audience as feel the need to ride the bikes, and especially the bike shares as it will make it easier for them. The need to achieve was something important also, because this is Logos, and is reasoning to why you might want to purchase the bike share programme. The reason is also something that reals in many viewers and they might want to feel the need to achieve being healthy again.

The target audience certainly made this project more easier approached for me, because I know what persuasive techniques to use towards this audience, however the context was a bit more challenging for me, as it was something I'm not familiar with, and it took a lot of thinking to put it in categories of basic appeals. My approach to this activity made me a little bit unconfident in myself, because the context was something that made me stuck for a while. However, after a while I understood it and I feel more better when given situations about this.

Some images that my group included were effective in our opinion because for example, the nostalgia effect, it helps a visual representation or aid of what was introduced in the beginning. Also, the pictures do not show any bad signs or representations, except for the first slides where fear was introduced.

This definitely prepared me to do my FOA. I am a really shy person, and it makes me nervous to do presentations. Especially when it is two classes combined. So, I feel that even though I know I didn't do as well as others, I feel that the FOA will be better prepared for, once I saw my other classmates prepare. It gave me a chance to talk persuasively towards the audience, which is something that I've never really done before as well.

1 comment:

  1. I definetely agree that your group was effective as you used nostalgia in a well-structures way. You show a very good understanding of the context as well as the topic as well as the techniques used. You showed some very insightful ideas! I believe that you did very well while presenting, even though you might be shy, you seemed confident with what you were saying and overcame the challenge of presenting infront of a bigger audience. Well done! one question, if you could redo the presentation, what would you change when presenting? Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete