Saturday 26 September 2015

Yorkshire named top twang as Brummie brogue comes bottom

When I read the first paragraph, I didn't understand what it meant. However after I read on it made a little sense to me. The title, "Yorkshire named top twang as Brummie brogue comes bottom" means that Yorkshire accents have been defined as being more intellectual than the Birmingham accents. The reason why it didn't make sense to me at first was because the term Brummie is an English term dialect I have never heard of. Before I write any further, I come from an english family, where my father has a very mild english accent from Lincoln. I Birmingham accent is noted in the article as being very nasal and an english slang that does not used standard english notation because everything has been shortened for their accent. In comparison to the Yorkshire accents, who have a very posh and sophisticated like accent to foreigners as represented in the article.

This blog is about how Yorkshire accents are seen as more intelligent than Birmingham's accents. Firstly, relating back to our example provide by Amy Tan in "Mother Tongue" it is evident how  if an individual uses english slang other than standard english, it is perceived as wrong. Tan's mother was perceived as being unintelligent and because of that was mistreated by others. In this case, they have assossiated Birmingham as high criminal rate, and criminals are known to have low intelligence. In my opinion, the amount of criminal activity does not correlate to the intelligence in one's country. As the article itself later states,  "30 years ago, 10% of the population went to university...Today, 44% of young people go to university. I think there's a shift in what we expect from somebody who is educated."

No comments:

Post a Comment