Wednesday 16 September 2015

A good name

My name is Yasmin Erina Newman. Where did this name come from? There are many reasons why I had this name. Firstly, I am going to talk about my first name; Yasmin. No its not Jasmine like everybody else pronounces it. Although both of them mean the same thing. It is said to derive from the arabic origin and means the Jasmine flower. However, although it is quite common, my mother did not name me soley just because of that reason. I was named Yasmin from my mothers name, Azlin. Azlin is a malay name and because the other half of my family is English, they found it strange to pronounce and kept forgetting to remember it because it is an uncommon name in Europe. From Yasmin, it turned to Yazlin, and Yazlin turned to Azlin. That’s why I was chosen to be named Yasmin. I don’t think I really like my name enough like I should be. I think that because my family has two cultures it sound different in both and I’m unsure of if I like it or not.

Next, my middle name; Erina. My cousin is only a year older than me, so we are not far apart and we get along really well. Her name is Emira. However, she was supposed to have a twin that never made it into this world. She was supposed to be named either Erina or Emilia. My mother chose the name Erina because of two reasons, first it was because of this lovely, kind hearted and beautiful girl she knew once in her life before I was born, and secondly because it means Strong. Whenever people hear this name, I normally get responses like “Erina? Wow, that should have been your first name.” However I don’t think it really suits me because my character of who I am of a person is not strong. I am very sensitive and shy. Perhaps if I had been named Erina, maybe I would have been stronger in my personality. This name is also a representation of me being the sister my cousin never had, because she does not have any sisters.


Lastly, my last name. My last name, Newman, is a traditional english family name that has been passed on for generations and generations. The crest of my family name has two lions supporting it. It comes from the anglo-saxons of britain for the word newcomer. Anybody who came into a new village in ancient times was referred to as a new man. Deriving from the word nige, or neu which means new, and mann which means man.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Yasmin. I'm not sure how I overlooked this post, but it is very well written. Your reflection on your name and in particular the significance of your middle name resonates with me as to why name can be so important to our identity.

    ReplyDelete